- What is your name and job title?
Elizabeth Francis, Residential Manager, Mid-Atlantic
- When did you start working at gphomestay?
- Where have you traveled to outside of the United States?
Spain, France, Portugal, Canada, Ireland, Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, Italy.
- What other languages do you speak?
- What’s something about American culture that you have found others outside of America find weird?
Americans spend a lot of time in their bedrooms, just hanging out alone or with a friend. I’ve personally always found that odd because my own culture doesn’t encourage spending too much time in your bedroom. But also when I lived in Spain, I never even had people over to my apartment- if I asked, they looked at me weird and asked, “Why?” Spaniards much prefer spending time outside of the home, at a park or a cafe. It’s why most homes there are fairly small.
- If you could travel back in time to any point in history, when and where would it be?
I’d go back to the times when Jesus walked the earth!
- What was your favorite food that you tried in another country?
In Paris, I had the best breakfast of my life- it was so simple but so good. It was just some fried bacon with an egg cracked over it, toast, a croissant, and an espresso. It was glorious. Of course, all the food in Italy was phenomenal as well!
- If you could physically transport yourself to any place in the world at this moment, where would you go?
- If you could be instantly fluent in one language that you currently do not speak, which would it be?
I speak Arabic and Spanish at intermediate levels and would love to perfect my abilities. I’d also like to learn French.
- If you could eat one food in any quantity for the rest of your life with no ill effects whatsoever, what food would you choose?
Kibbeh (Lebanese dish)
- Why do you like working in international education?
Education will end poverty and that should be international!
- What do you think is the biggest benefit of studying abroad?
If you have the opportunity to study abroad and fully immerse yourself in the culture, you will become more tolerant and open-minded than you would have ever imagined for yourself.
- If you could only read one book for the rest of your life which book would it be?
I love ‘A Thousand Splendid Suns’ but it is painfully sad, so I’d choose the Harry Potter series of course.