As the summer heat sweeps across the globe, it’s the perfect time to explore the tantalizing flavors of Vietnamese cuisine. Bursting with fresh ingredients, bold flavors, and vibrant colors, Vietnamese dishes are a treat for the senses. Whether you’re a host family welcoming international students or an adventurous student looking to whip up something special, we have the perfect Vietnamese summer dish for you. Get ready to embark on a culinary journey and discover the beauty of Vietnamese gastronomy with our mouthwatering recipe for “Bún Chả Giò” – Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Salad with Spring Rolls!
To make this delightful Vietnamese summer dish, you will need:
For the Spring Rolls:
– 12 rice paper wrappers
– 200g of ground pork
– 100g of shrimp, peeled and deveined
– 1 small carrot, julienned
– 1 small cucumber, julienned
– A handful of fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, Thai basil)
– Rice vermicelli noodles (cooked according to package instructions)
– Cooking oil for frying
For the Dressing:
– 2 tablespoons fish sauce
– 2 tablespoons lime juice
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 small chili, finely chopped (optional for heat lovers)
– 3 tablespoons water
- Prepare the Spring Rolls:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground pork and shrimp. Season with salt, pepper, and your choice of spices (such as garlic powder or onion powder) for added flavor.
- Soak the rice paper wrappers in warm water for a few seconds until pliable. Place one wrapper on a clean surface.
- Add a small portion of the ground pork and shrimp mixture onto the bottom third of the wrapper. Top it with a few strips of carrot, cucumber, and a selection of fresh herbs.
- Roll up the wrapper tightly, folding in the sides as you go. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat cooking oil in a deep pan or skillet. Fry the spring rolls until they turn golden brown and crispy. Set them aside to cool.
Prepare the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, minced garlic, chili (if desired), and water. Stir well until the sugar dissolves. Adjust the taste according to your preference by adding more fish sauce, lime juice, or sugar as needed.
- Assemble the Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Salad:
- Cook the rice vermicelli noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse them with cold water to remove excess starch.
- Divide the cooked rice vermicelli noodles into individual serving bowls.
- Arrange the crispy spring rolls on top of the noodles.
- Garnish the dish with additional fresh herbs and julienned vegetables for a burst of color and texture.
- Drizzle the dressing generously over the dish or serve it on the side so that everyone can add it according to their taste.
With its refreshing combination of flavors, textures, and vibrant colors, “Bún Chả Giò” makes for a perfect Vietnamese summer dish for host families and international students alike. The light and refreshing rice vermicelli salad, complemented by the crunch of the crispy spring rolls, offers a delightful and satisfying meal. Whether you’re exploring Vietnamese cuisine for the first time or are a seasoned food enthusiast, this dish will transport your taste buds to the bustling streets of Vietnam.
So, gather your loved ones or fellow students, and embark on a culinary adventure to savor the delightful flavors of Vietnam. Enjoy the tantalizing tastes, engage in cultural exchange, and create lasting memories through the shared experience of preparing and savoring this delicious Vietnamese summer dish.
For more information on how to become a host family: [email protected] OR